Monday, February 02, 2004

enter the dragon

Wow, what a busy weekend. I've pretty well been going nonstop since Friday. Don "The Dragon" Wilson (11 time world kickboxing champion and star of several martial arts films) paid a visit to our Taekwondo school this weekend. He taught two seminars on self-defense and kickboxing which were very enjoyable. I really enjoyed the fact that he focused on the basics of punching and kicking; something we probably don't do often enough. It's so easy to get into the habit of just throwing a punch or kick or triple spinning tornado kick that you forget about the dynamics of how that attack gets its power and accuracy. What's more, I even got the chance to bowl, eat dinner, and even go to church with Mr. Wilson, since my Taekwondo instructor also attends the same church I do.

Sunday afternoon was quite the trip also. I finally convinced my wife that we need a digital camera and so we headed to the local Wal-Mart to pick one out. After about 30 minutes of looking, comparing, and discussing, we finally settled on a particular Kodak camera with 3.1 megapixels, so we asked the sales person to get it for us. They hunted for another 15 minutes before coming to the conclusion that they were out of stock. So we ended up making the half-hour trip to the next nearest Wal-Mart to purchase the camera. Talk about a wasted afternoon. But the camera we picked up is supremely cool (or I'm just completely naive when it comes to digital photography, which is an equally plausible case). I took a few pictures last night and uploaded them to the computer. I was completely taken aback by the quality; I guess I'm just accustomed to seeing sub-1 megapixel photos from digital cameras I've had in the past. I'm sure we'll definitely enjoy the camera...now I just have to teach my wife to use it! :)

No comments: