Friday, July 01, 2005

text editor woes

As a programmer, it's no question that a text editor is the most valuable thing in the toolbox. Why is it that not a one of them supports finding and replacing of multiple lines. I can't count the number of times that I've needed to swap out several instances of one section of code or XML for another snippet. But Visual Studio, ConTEXT, and even my beloved Notepad2 don't support finding or replacing on anything more than a single line. It'd be one thing if I could substitue newline ( \n ) escape sequences or something to achieve what I want, but none of them even support that. Am I really asking for something that obscure?

Guess that one goes on my ever-expanding list of personal to-do projects. Maybe I'll patent it and make a million bucks....

1 comment:

Brandon said...

I've actually started looking more into regular expressions lately, since they can be used in Visual Studio's Find/Replace dialog.

One thing I hate is that Microsoft just can't seem to stop reinventing standards. Instead of using the nice pattern matching escape sequences I'm used to from Ruby and Perl, I have to learn an entirely different set of sequences.

Want to match some whitespace? \b, right? Nope. In VS, it's :Wh. Ugh!