Monday, December 04, 2006

wii

I finally got my Nintendo Wii this past Friday after searching for over a week. Thanks to the people discussing their purchases over at Amazon's product page, I was able to snag a bundle from Walmart.com. Fortunately, I was able to call up and have all the games in the bundle canceled, so I ended up only paying for the system and one game that was shipped before my cancellation took effect.

One thing that I have to say about the Wii is that it is the most genuinely fun system I've played in a long, long time. The interface is wonderful and everything behaves exactly how you would expect it to. Being able to point a remote at the screen and click on things is surprisingly more intuitive than I ever thought it would be. Since using it, I've been wishing I had a similar interface to move the mouse pointer on my machine here at work! The sports game that comes packaged with the game was fun and easy enough to draw my wife in, who before now has never shown even a hint of interest in my gaming hobby. I actually had to tear her away from her hour-and-a-half long session of bowling last night.

Naturally, I also picked up Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. This game is phenomenal, and in my opinion gives even Ocarina of Time a run for its money. The one thing hurting it might be that the story isn't quite as accessible as some of the previous Zelda games, but I also may be premature in making that statement, as I'm just now reaching what seems to be the halfway point of the game. Using the remote and nunchuk attachment as sword and shield is inspired, and while I had difficulty controlling them at first, after growing accustomed to the controls, I'd hate to play the game any other way.

In leaving, I'll direct your attention to this video, which had me laughing hysterically for a good ten minutes. :)

No comments: