Tuesday, September 16, 2003

happy birthday to me

Woohoo! I turned 23 today!

In other news, I've come to the realization that, in the software development industry, the clients never know what they want. I've been working on a project for the past two months or so. Everything was supposedly figured out and the software was designed according to the current spec. We actually had plenty of time for testing (which is generally a rarity), and only had a few minor issues to work out.

Now, two weeks before the software is supposed to be used in the "real world", the clients call us up and tell us that the software needs to work in a completely different way because they changed the way they were doing things. Wonderful. We'll get our crack team of ONE programmer (me) on this right away. I just wish that some things would be thoroughly thought out before coding started. I always laugh at those software development books and articles that proselytize the Software Development Lifecycle. To actually have an analysis phase; how utopian would that be? Unfortunately, there is always a deadline pressing down and the first two steps to get thrown out of the SDL are the analysis and design phases.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much though; all this extra time is not neccessarily wasted, per se. There's just so many other projects that I actually want to be working on that I hate being bogged down by this one in particular. Such is the life of a developer, I suppose.

No comments: