Saturday, September 13, 2003

skeletons in the digital closet

Wow...
Starting this blog got me to thinking of all the previous homepages that I've built in the past. Somehow, someway, GeoCities has kept my oldest site online. Ah, the days when the web was young and so naive.... It's hilarious, yet somewhat humbling to see retrospectively my tastes, ideas, and passions. Just be glad that my appreciation for visual style has improved somewhat. I probably included every flashy gimmick I could find on that web page. Of course, in my defense, so did everyone else! Times on the web back then were so much simpler. Advertisers had yet to discover the reach of the web, Netscape 2 and 3 were the browsers of choice, and Java had only recently come on the scene. Geez....I feel old now.

My second site, which was hosted on a computer I had in college and is no longer available, but was at least easier on the eyes. If any site had survived, I wish it would have been that one, as it definitely reflected a much more mature and intelligent side of me. I've definitely learned the lesson that simple web sites are better. If you can't impress, entertain, or educate with actual content, then flashy graphics and obnoxious music certainly won't do it for you.

No comments: