Saturday, July 10, 2004

hooray for reading

I just finished The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene yesterday. That book has completely enthralled me; so much so that I'm now 70 or so pages into The Fabric of the Cosmos, also by Greene. Both books describe superstring theory and the scientific revolutions that preceded it, including Einstein's theories of special/general relativity and quantum mechanics, in a way that is both entertaining and easily grasped, even by those without much inclination towards physics. I loved physics in high school and college, but only after reading these books have I gained that fascination with it that encourages me to continue my studies outside of a classroom setting.

In other reading-related news, I stumbled across an interesting site called zooba.com, which seems to be a very interesting book-of-the-month type service. It actually reminds me quite a bit of Netflix in the way that it lets you create a personalized reading list. For a $9.95 monthly subscription fee, they're going to send me the #1 book on my reading list, usually in hardcover format, and don't even charge shipping and handling fees! If I were to want more than one book a month, I can buy them for another flat $9.95 charge each, again with no shipping. Their selection may not be overly complete, but they do seem to stock most of the recent bestsellers and other popular books. I've already picked out my next 9 or so books, including Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything and Mitch Albom's Tuesdays with Morrie, which I've been anxious to read for some time. And getting each for just under ten bucks is a pretty good deal as far as I'm concerned!

No comments: