Sunday, July 11, 2004

a must read book

I can't believe I've never read this book until now. The book in question is Tuesdays With Morrie, which I added to my Zooba reading list as I mentioned earlier. I happened across a paperback version while in Books A Million this weekend and decided to go ahead and pick it up instead of waiting for it. I started reading it later that night, intending to read just a few chapters. Before I knew it, I'd read nearly three fourths of the book, and finished it earlier today. I knew it would be good, because I'd read The Five People You Meet In Heaven a few months back and was enthralled by it. But I never expected it to be that good. It truly lives up to every bit of praise that is showered upon it on the back cover of the book. I highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone.

Just for a brief synopsis of this book, it contains just two principal characters: the author, and his old college professor, Morrie. Yes, that's right, this is a true story written from a firsthand account. Perhaps it was this fact that makes the book so incredibly endearing. Morrie has been diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gherig's disease) and the author is able to meet up with him in the last few weeks of his illness before his death. The two meet on Tuesdays and discuss many different aspects of life ranging from aging to money to marriage. This book will completely change your outlook on a lot of life issues.

No comments: